Choosing the Perfect Primary Source

It's primary source time, y'alll!

Choosing an excellent primary source early in the semester when thinking about the PSA can save you a major impending headache later in the semester when you're working on your SSI or ARP. The image or short video that you select as your primary source will be the basis of each step of the ARP. This source will be the focus of your paper for the entire semester, so if you don't choose wisely, you could be kicking yourself in a couple of months (and we don't want that!)


Don't end up like this guy!

The Basics
  • Must be image-based (photograph, advertisement, short video less than 7 minutes like a music video, commercial, or movie trailer)
  • Can NOT be text-based (no newspaper articles, journal articles, websites, books. etc.)
  • Must fit within our course theme of (Socioeconomic) Class in America Today
  • Must have a minimum of 5 different details that you can base analysis paragraphs on

Back away from the journal article. Slowly.

So are you are looking around the interwebs or in magazines for your primary source, ask yourself these questions:

1. When starting out with your search: What different sub-topics that fall under the larger umbrella course theme of Class in America Today interest me? Am I curious about inequality within eduction? Do I want to know more about homelessness? Try thinking about what interests you in general (maybe fashion, real estate, dialects/accents, sports, etc.) and how those could connect to Class in America Today. If you start with topics that you are already interested in, you're much more likely to choose a primary source/topic that won't bore you later on.

Your HGTV addiction could finally be useful!

2. Once you've found a few options for your primary source: How many different details can I identify within a single source? Think in terms of visual details like a chainlink fence, a boarded up window, an overturned garbarge can, a grey sky, graffiti on the side of a building, etc. If you are looking at a video source or if there are short bits of text written on your image, you can also analyze short words or phrases (i.e. the word "change," the phrase "don't know what to do," etc.) You won't be able to analyze whole scenes or conversations. Think small. Analysis is about breaking a source down into tiny pieces and then making meaning from those little fragments.

Example of not enough details. This source could make your life really unfun.


3. Looking at different source options: How does this fit into our course theme of Class in America Today? (Sometimes students will accidentally choose a source that isn't set in America or that isn't current in representing class as it is now.) Can I make a really specific, narrow connection? (The sub-topics of "homelessness" or "differences in appearance between classes" are still too broad. You will need to find a really focused angle like "the increase in homelessness amongst female veterans." You certainly don't have to know what your exact angle will be starting out, but it's helpful to think ahead because you'll eventually--in the SSI stage and beyond--need to find journal articles that will help you support your analysis of your image/video).

 What sorts of subtopics are you interested in that would fit within our course theme? What kinds of sources are you considering for your primary source?

***Either make one original comment or respond to two comments.***

Comments

  1. When you say that we shouldn't pick a source outside of The United States, are we able to compare The US to other country's socioeconomic situations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at analyzing a music video. The only issue is that there are several swears throughout the song. These are not in the sections I plan on analyzing, but I wanted to get an "okay" before going ahead with it. I just don't want to offend anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, I am trying to connect class in America and sports. Based on class, some class prefer to play some sports, and others prefer to play other sports. As a primary source, pictures is used for describing differences among classes in the USA through sports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog is helpful for me. I did not write many paper before and not really know how to deal with the PSA. I was Googling class of america and try to find some clue on how to find a proper one. Now I have an idea. This blog gives me an idea on how to start my search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good for me. It help me to clear my mind about what i should write. It is really tough for me to figure out the topic i want and the source i want. But this blog shows me a direct way to figure out the source i want how to search them and what kind of source are bad.
    Luo.771

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was considering analyzing a video source because I feel that there is a lot of information packed into a video compared to photos or advertisements. You made a really helpful point by noting we shouldn't analyze whole scenes but rather break them down into small details. This makes me a bit more cautious about video sources since there is so much to analyze in a video that I might miss the minute details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly speaking, I still wonder what specific topic which relates to the Class of American I want to write about. But I'm sure that I want to choose a video as my primary source. Once I was really confused about how to choose perfect primary sources, so this blog really helps me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog post was helpful in determining the scope of our research. I will also probably choose a video as my source in order to make sure that I am able to pull enough information out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm most interested in the social classes that make up America, mainly the differences and similarities between them. I will most likely find a video to analysis because there is going to be more information in a video compared to a picture or an advertisement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, I think that is very good plan for a primary source. What type of video do you have in mind? Like a movie clip or a segment of a documentary? I plan on using a scene from a movie about sports to use as a primary source, but I haven't picked it yet.

      Delete
  11. Still not sure what specific topic that has to do with class I want to write about. Figuring out where to start is always the hardest part for me. The blog did a good job of giving me some options to think about. Might opt to analyze a video over a picture because there would be more information and details to analyze.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to start to research class within sports in America. My ideal source would be some type of movie clip so that way I have multiple scenes to analyze. However, if I cannot find a good enough clip then I plan on trying to look for a big sports advertisement poster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandon, I think that is very solid idea. Using a movie clip would definitely give you a lot to analyze. What movies do you have in mind?

      Delete
  13. For my project, I will most likely focus on the pull of those in lower socioeconomic classes have towards higher classes (i.e. how many cities that used to be wealthy are now overrun by gangs and economic struggles). However, I also find the recreational pass-times of the different classes interesting as well as how those affect sports, such as the influence "street ball" has on basketball. I'll most likely use an image or short documentary for the city or a video for the economic influences on sports.
    -Catie Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was helpful in helping me narrow down what kind of primary source to use. I find it especially interesting that we are only allowed to use image based sources as I have not had many experiences with visual media analysis in the past. I think I will be looking for a picture as my primary source.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not to seem unoriginal but I really am interested in researching how your class affects education quality. I am sure I could dig deeper to narrow the topic a little more. My high school faces many issues that I could address in my paper. I am hoping to find a video as a primary source. My primary source has always been a journal article, so I am looking forward to trying something different for this research paper.
    -Sierra Vahalik

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not 100% positive what topic I want to write about for my ARP but I am leaning towards exploring how class effects educational opportunities or extracurricular activities. As for my primary source, I would definitely try and find a strong image or video in order to pull enough information into my paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm interested in the legalization of the marijuana in America. Recently, there are some states make the marijuana legal, but this case is still a topic that raises lots of controversy. It fits the class theme, America Today and has rich details that I can search for. I'll try my best to divide the details into 5 aspects and make my PSA finished well.

    Ouyang Wang
    wang.8756

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am interested in analyzing either a video or an image. I think differentiating the types of socioeconomic classes is what I am leaning towards to for this project. I think videos come with a lot more information and images/scenes to talk about, but if you are a very visual person, a picture can mean a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have not yet decided what specific topic I would like to pursue. This blog is very helpful in narrowing down on exactly what I want to focus on as my primary source. I hope to find a video that I can use but I will need to do some more research.

    Sam Tufts
    tufts.34

    ReplyDelete
  20. This blog let me have a idea and a deeper understand for this project. A good resource needs to be specific and contains enough content that you can explain it.

    Anna Pei (pei.93)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to discover homeless children. And I will use photos and videos to be primary source.

    Jingya Wang
    wang.9443

    ReplyDelete
  22. The theme that I am going to try to work with is how the class system affects blacks in America, and more specifically, how the upper class black population affects the lower class ones. If feel like music videos or maybe interviews with rappers or ball players would be good source material.

    Abrahm Williams
    Williams.5508

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's the Point of WEx?

Finding Credible Sources During These Crazy Times We're Living In

Integrate Those Quotes, Y'all!